Ingredients for homemade lentils with chorizo
- 500 gr of extra pardinas lentils
- 4 large carrots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 large onions
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 spoonful of La Vera paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste)
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green pepper
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 cane bone
- 2 chorizos
- 1 blood sausage
- 1/4 ham bone
How to prepare a lentil recipe in the traditional style . A grandmother stew that I’ve been making since I was little, and I say small because I started preparing them with my mother at 10-12 years old.
It is a simple recipe and worthy of kings, or I think so. The truth is that nothing richer than lentils for the beginning of the cold and besides being delicious are super nutritious.
Without a doubt one of my favorite dishes of autumn, in this case they have that point of fat that gives the pig (chorizo, bone …) but if you want a little more light (suitable for diet), you have the vegetable version, widowed lentils .
Not everyone likes them, as the saying goes: “Whoever wants to eat them and who does not leave them ” but I think it is important to educate all children since they were little so that they like this stew by introducing it into the daily diet .
Although they take their time another point in favor is that you can make a casserole of them and freeze them. As long as you do not add potato. I present this recipe that is almost done alone, I hope you like it.
Before cooking lentils
- One of the important steps is the choice of lentils. I use the most common, extra pardina lentil, found in any market or supermarket.
- The best thing about this kind of lentils is that they do not need to be soaked prior to cooking, although I usually do so to save cooking time.
- We put the lentils in a bowl with cold water and let them soak overnight, usually 12 hours. It is not necessary to salt at the time of soaking.
- If for any reason you did not have time you can do it directly. Provided they are pardinas and do not forget to wash them to remove impurities. Just remember to cook them for 1/2 hour more.
- The day after putting them in soak we remove the lentils that are floating in the water, they are usually not suitable to prepare the stew. We drain and set aside until the time to prepare.
Preparation of lentils
- Chop the onion, garlic and pepper into very small pieces so that they fall apart during cooking.
- At the end of the cooking almost no texture of any of the ingredients but its flavor. Like garlic many people do not like to find it on the plate, you can throw it whole and remove it halfway through cooking.
- Peel the carrots and tomatoes, if you do not want to peel the tomato, nothing happens either, although you will find some skin.
- Many people usually chop the carrot so that it does not remain hard during cooking. It depends on the taste of each one but I can assure you that in an hour and a half it is perfect, in my case I like to cut it into thin slices if the carrots are thin and in quarters if they are large. We chop the tomatoes into 2 parts.
- In a saucepan, add a little oil, onions and garlic cloves. Stir-fry everything for 10 minutes so that the flavors mix well.
- We add the pepper, the tomato, the carrots and the bay leaf. We also fry for 2-3 minutes.
- We add the bones (ham and cane) and a generous spoonful of La Vera paprika. With a spoonful dessert type is enough, too much can become bitter.
- If you like a spicy touch you can mix sweet and spicy paprika at the same level, they are very rich.
- We remove with a wooden spoon quickly and we throw the lentils already drained and reserved.
- We remove again so that everything comes together.
Final preparation Traditional cooking or with express pot.
- Cover with cold water (important, so that it starts to boil slowly) until the pan is almost full. Remember that we have to add more ingredients.
- I like them with broth, if you want them thicker put a little less water. Then you can always rectify with hot water (so as not to break the cooking).
- Let them begin to boil and froth for a few minutes. We remove the foam that normally contains impurities, part of the remains of the meat.
- When it takes 1/2 hour cooking we add salt and pepper to taste. It is important to try the broth since we have thrown ham and can be salted.
- We add 2 sausages and a sausage (I do not usually bacon or bacon, because we do not eat it, but it gives good flavor) and let them cook slowly at medium temperature for the next half hour stirring from time to time with a wooden spoon .
- Then we remove the chorizos, black pudding and bones so that they are less heavy. The last half hour we cook the lentils over a low heat, trying occasionally if they do not need more cooking.
- Another option is to make them in the express pot. Although I like them more slowly, sometimes I have done them that way, it depends on the time you have.
- We will cook about 12 minutes if it is an express pot, or 25 minutes if it is normal. We can open it 5 minutes before the time (resting before opening it) to see how they are. And if necessary, close and follow cooking.
- To place the best is a deep dish with the lentil stew and chorizo on top. I like the whole carrot but you can slice it.